The first launch candidate (RC1) for WordPress 6.0 is now obtainable!
This is a vital milestone on the 6.0 launch cycle journey. “Release Candidate” signifies that this model of WordPress is prepared for launch! Before the official launch date, time is put aside for the group to carry out ultimate opinions and assist check. Since the WordPress ecosystem contains 1000’s of plugins and themes, it’s important that everybody inside the WordPress group verify to see if something was missed alongside the way in which. That means the venture would love your assist.
WordPress 6.0 is deliberate for official launch on May twenty fourth, 2022, three weeks from at present.
This model of the WordPress software program is beneath improvement. Please don’t set up, run, and check this model of WordPress on a manufacturing or mission-critical web site. Instead, it is suggested that you just RC1 on a check server and website.
You can check WordPress 6.0 RC1 in 3 ways:
Option 1: Install and activate the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (choose the “Bleeding edge” channel and “Beta/RC Only” stream).
Option 2: Direct obtain the release candidate version here (zip).
Option 3: When utilizing WP-CLI to improve from Beta 1, 2, 3, or 4, on a case-insensitive filesystem, please use the next command sequence:
wp core replace --version=6.0-RC1
wp core replace --version=6.0-RC1 --force
Additional data on the total 6.0 release cycle is available here.
Check the Make WordPress Core blog for 6.0-related developer notes within the coming weeks which can element all upcoming adjustments.
Since Beta 4, varied gadgets have been addressed, together with (however not restricted to):
- Backport updates of Comment blocks assessments (#55643)
- Backport a bugfix of Comment Template block pagination (#55658)
- Editor: Backport bug fixes for WordPress 6.0 from Gutenberg (#55567)
WordPress 6.0 is the second main launch for 2022, following 5.9 which turned usually obtainable in January. This launch contains practically 1,000 fixes and enhancements spanning most areas of the WordPress platform. Some key highlights inside the content material creation and site-building characteristic units embrace:
- Style Switching: switch up the look and feel of your site, multi function block theme. No want to alter themes!
- More template choices: use blocks to edit 5 extra templates (writer, date, classes, tag, and taxonomy).
- Multi-select: Easily choose textual content throughout a number of blocks. Edit to your liking.
- Retain Styles: Keep your customized types in place, whether or not reworking between blocks or creating new buttons.
- More patterns in additional locations: the Quick Inserter surfaces patterns that may work effectively for the situation you’re in, baking in related patterns for template components and pages you’re engaged on.
- List View enhancements: New keyboard shortcuts (shift + click on) let you choose a number of blocks to switch in bulk (reposition, delete, and many others.), see your content material at a look with a collapsed by default view, and extra.
- Refined design instruments: Explore a brand new coloration panel, transparency choices, extra group block variations to create new format choices (Stack, Row), the flexibility to set your featured picture in a Cover block, management the precise measurement of your featured picture, hole assist for the Gallery block, and extra.
- New blocks: Various Post Comments, Read More, No Results in Query Loop, Post Author Biography, Avatar blocks.
- Block Locking: Choose to disable the choice to take away a block, transfer it, or each, proper within the editor.
- Export block themes: Explore the improved block theme export device, as WordPress heads nearer to codeless visible block theme constructing.
All plugin and theme builders ought to check their respective extensions towards WordPress 6.0 RC1 and replace the “Tested up to” model of their readme file to 6.0. If you discover compatibility issues, please remember to put up detailed data to the support forums, so these things might be investigated additional previous to the ultimate launch date of May twenty fourth.
Review the WordPress 6.0 Field Guide, for extra particulars on what’s contained on this launch.
Do you converse a language apart from English? Help translate WordPress into more than 100 languages. This launch additionally marks the hard string freeze level of the 6.0 launch cycle.
Testing for points is important for stabilizing a launch all through its improvement. Testing can also be a good way to contribute to WordPress. If you might be new to testing, try this detailed guide that can stroll you thru find out how to get began.
If you assume you could have run into a difficulty, please report it to the Alpha/Beta area within the assist boards. If you might be comfy writing a reproducible bug report, you may file one on WordPress Trac. This can also be the place yow will discover an inventory of known bugs.
Haiku Fun for RC 1
Our journey practically performed
Get prepared, WordPress
Thank you to the next contributors for collaborating on this put up: @dansoschin, @webcommsat, and @annezazu.